Jan 23, 2014

Birthday Books

"I  declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading!" ~ Jane Austen

My 17th birthday was on Wednesday last week but we ended up celebrating my birthday on Sunday instead. We didn't do too much besides opening gifts and have pizza and cupcakes afterwards, but it was a great day!

My gifts were all books, well except for the Death Star ice cube mold which I don't currently have any pictures of. Anyways, Three's been some books at Costco I've had my eye on for a while. I've been wanting a nice edition of Emma by Jane Austen for a while now and I just recently saw that Costco had the best edition I've seen of it. And it's even pink! Alina and Daniel pitched in to get these first two books for me.

The first one is Emma.
 And the second one is a huge edition of Sherlock Holmes. This book has all of the Sherlock Holmes novels and almost all of the short stories. And it is heavy!


 These next two books are from Sereina. The first one is the Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie. It's the first book in the Tommy & Tuppence series, and I've read this one before and it's really good (like all of Agatha Christie's work).
 And this one is so awesome there isn't even a word to say how awesome it is! It's Indiana Jone's journal. It starts off from when he was a kid and goes all the way through the 1950's. They put a bunch of the maps and stuff they had in the movies in here. It's so cool!




Sunday was also the season premier of Sherlock Series 3. Naturally we stayed up and watched it that night, even though it wasn't on until ten. It was really good, and I really like how Sherlock's character is starting to change into a better person.

Alina, a friend, and I have been trying to figure out how Sherlock survived the fall at the end of series 2. We ended up coming up with a fairly good theory but we still don't know if it's right. How could they not reveal how he did it in the first episode?

One last thing before I finish this post. When Sherlock was telling Anderson how he supposedly did it, they used the code LAZARUS. In Doctor Who there was an episode with a Professor Lazarus, who was played by the same actor who plays Mycroft in Sherlock. I don't know how many people caught that, but that's pretty awesome!
The moment when all us Whovians went crazy!

3 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday, Tiana! Sounds like you had a blast! And books are always fun to get! :) Indiana Jones' journal looks neat, and I love the story of Emma, though I've never read the book. Funny that you should receive that, since my blog post today will be on Mr. Knightley. :D Have you seen the BBC mini-series of it? I'm so excited to see Sherlock! I get to watch the first episode tonight, if all goes as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bluebelle! I've only seen the BBC mini series as well, and in my opinion it's the best one out of all the Jane Austen mini series' they've done (at least out of the one's I've seen which is all the versions of Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, and of course Emma).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *laughs* Those are the mini-series I've seen, too! Which version of Sense and Sensibility did you like better? I love the new one, while I find the older one rather cheesy and stilted at points.

      Delete