Apr 18, 2014

The Final Draft

I finally finished editing my novel I wrote during NaNoWriMo in November. One of the prizes for the NaNo winners is that they get 2 free paperback copies of their books, so I've got the cover made and am now waiting for my novel to arrive. I still can't get over it being my novel.


When I was about halfway through editing the book I realized how slow I was going because I was pretty much re-writing rather than just editing. At that point I decided to just edit and make a few rewrites instead of re-writing the whole thing since I would only be able to get the paper back copies of my book before June, and I wasn't sure if I would be able to edit/re-write the whole thing by then.

The novel ended up being just under 50,000 words in the end while it's not as good as I would like it, it is finished. When I get the paperbacks I'm going to sign them and keep them on my shelf, but I don't know if I'll ever let anyone read them. Well, that's the life of a writer. ;)

But I'm super excited to have a book published. And hopefully my next book will be just a little bit better. I've learned so much from doing NaNo and I've improved a lot. When I first started editing my novel I was shocked at my writing at the very beginning. There were so many 'face palm' moments it wasn't even funny. Okay, maybe I did laugh a bit about it with my sister, Alina. We're always making jokes about this sort of stuff.

But I'm glad I pushed through and finished editing it, even though there were times when I desperately wanted to give up on it. I'm glad that I even finished it and know that next time that I'll only be able to go up. It'll be interesting to look back at my writing in ten years and see how much I've improved.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you, Tiana! And you're right: the best part is that you've learned so much! I totally know what you mean: the difference between my writing when I started my novel and when I finished the rough draft is drastic. That's the life of a good writer, though: always improving. :)

    ReplyDelete