Jul 8, 2014

l'artist

Drawing is something I've always done since I was little. Like pretty much everyone I use to draw stick people and little oval cats and dogs when I was younger. I was never particularly talented in that area. When I was a little older I began drawing horses, and that became my default. I have tons of drawings of horses.

When I was drawing them I thought they looked perfect and exactly like my picture reference. A few years ago I was looking through those drawings and I wondered how I could have thought that. I continued to draw, but all I could see in my work were the imperfections and how off the drawings were.

I put drawing down for a while and didn't do much except for occasional drawings. But then Tangled came out and I found the book The Art of Tangled which is filled with all the beautiful concept art for the film.

The book contained a bunch of simple sketches of Rapunzel by Glen Keane. Well, one day I decided to try my best to copy them. I did what was my best at the time, and I was proud of them. This was what started me on my art journey.

Here are the sketches I did. I've learned a lot since then and now when I look at these I see all sorts of things I did wrong. But at the time this was the best I knew, and all in all I think they were pretty good.

I continued to copy drawings from that book and I leanred a few things about drawing just from copying. After a while I decided that I really wanted to improve and I ordered some books from the library.

The book that was most helpful was Secrets to Drawing Realistic Faces. I learned so much from this book and my art has improved tremendously since reading it! Another thing I like to do is watch speed drawings and paintings on YouTube. I've learned a lot of techniques by watching other artists.

Here's another one of my earlier drawings.

I began to learn about proportions and drawing what's actually there and not what I think is there (it's kind of hard to explain quickly). I think those are the two most important things every artist needs to know and knowing them will help tremendously.

Here are some of my most recent drawings and digital paintings.
Elsa - Digital

Tinker Bell - Digital

Anna - Pencil

Elsa - Pencil

Peggy Carter - Pencil

I'm very proud of how far I've come without having any art lessons. But I still want to improve my art and I'm still learning.

Do you like to draw?

2 comments:

  1. Hey those look really good!
    I REALLY like the one of Anna! Her eyes (and eyebrows, lol) look really good! :D I can draw eyes (sort of) but they're nothing like yours!
    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete