Dec 10, 2014

Bustles, and wigs, and writing. Oh my!

It's almost the middle of December and Christmas is only two weeks away?! How did that even happen?

I love the Fall and Winter seasons. Cold, dark, rainy, and sometimes snowy days are some of my favorite things. I'm not really a summer person. I'll take the cold over the heat any day. That's partially because it gets really hot in my room in the afternoons when it's sunny out and then I can't really sew.

Speaking of sewing... I made 1870/80's under garments! I've been working on re-creating Christine Daae's Wishing Dress from Phantom of the Opera (the stage version) and have been making all the undergarments as historically accurate as I can.

This is my first historical piece I've ever done, which is really exciting! It's something I've wanted to do since I started costuming. I always thought I would make an 1860's dress first because I love the fashion from that era, but turns out my first historical piece is a bustle dress. Which is super cool, I love bustles too! And they're so fun to wear! Now to just make the actual dress...

You can see more on my costuming blog, HERE!
I've also been working on the wig for the Wishing Dress. Wigs are fairly new to me, but they add so much to a costume! And they're fun to wear. For this wig I got a lace front wig and will be adding to the front hairline with a technique that is called ventilating. Basically it's adding each hair 1-2 strands at a time.

Hair! Hair everywhere!
I've also been making it longer by removing the old wefts and replacing them with longer ones. The new wefts are about 36 inches long and when it's done will be down below my hips (I think it's closer to my knee's actually). I was working on that all day yesterday. It's a slow process but it's going to be worth it in the end.

And today I started rewriting my novel Stateroom 2032 that I wrote for NaNoWriMo last year. A few months ago I got an idea for the last book in the Drake & Houston series which has motivated me to re-write the first book so I can work on the rest in the series.


So far I've written just over 200 words. Yeah, I know. That's kind of weak. ;P I'm so excited to be working on it again that I couldn't help myself and I jumped ahead into the actual writing. I need to work on the characters a little bit and probably the plot too.

No comments:

Post a Comment