Nov 3, 2016

NaNoWriMo - the Month of Writing and Madness

It's November, which means it's NaNoWriMo time! This year is my 4th time participating and like the crazy person I am, I decided to not just write 50k works but 70k. Ideally all before Thanksgiving. Oh, and I barely plotted my novel.

What's wrong with me?

On top of NaNoWriMo madness I also have to fit normal things into my life like work, my costuming, music practice, etc...

How does one get through the month of November, you might ask. Well, lots of tea (and/or hot chocolate and coffee), lots of music, and a very competitive nature.


Alina and I are both very competitive, especially when it comes to NaNoWriMo and each other. She didn't originally want to write 70k words, but since I'm doing it, she decided she had to otherwise she'd be left in the dust.

We have a tradition (unintentionally) that I finish my word goal for the month first but she ends with a slightly higher word count then me. At this point it looks like we'll be keeping this tradition.

A few tips from a NaNoWriMo veteran:
  • Winning is a choice. If you want to win, you'll find a way of writing 50k words. It's as simple as that.
  • Find your ideal writing place/time. I've found that I really enjoy writing on my laptop at Starbucks or alone at night. For some reason writing in the evening when it's dark out is more motivating for me.
  • Participate in lots of writing sprints! Set a time limit (I like short 15 minute sprints) and then write! Don't let yourself stop typing, don't even think about what you're typing. Just type. I have a group on Facebook with a bunch of friends and we do writing sprints together and give encouragement and advice. If you don't know anyone who's participating in NaNo there's a writing sprint section on the forums!
  • Have fun! Your writing may be awful, you may be running out of plot, you may be out of coffee, you may be at your wits end, but the most important part is to have fun! Keep plowing through and at the end of the month you will be feeling so accomplished, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment