Apr 8, 2017

Touring the Paramount Theatre

April 7th, 2017.
Seattle
The Paramount Theatre

Being the theatre geek that I am, when I learned the Paramount Theatre in Seattle did behind the scenes tours I got really excited. I started to get into Broadway in 2014 and saw my first live production in 2015 at The Paramount, and since then I've seen 3 more shows plus a concert there and have subscribed to their 2017/18 season.

The theatre itself is beautiful and I was excited at the prospect of getting to (hopefully) see more than just the main auditorium in a tour. Since I know several other people who are also Broadway fans, I decided to put together a special group. Actually, my main reason for scheduling our own special tour vs. one of their pre-scheduled tours was so that we could schedule it on a day when there was no show at the theatre, and thus hopefully getting to go back/on stage.

It took 4 months of attempted scheduling, and rescheduling. The first time we had it scheduled for December then a few days later they emailed me back to let me know Microsoft had rented the entire theatre that day for their holiday party (thanks Microsoft). Then we had a date scheduled for January, but we had a freak snow storm and had to cancel due to that. 

But finally, finally, we were able to make it on the 7th.

And it was worth the wait (so worth the wait).

Not only did we get to go on stage, but we also got to visit several of the dressing rooms, the "Green Room", and the orchestra pit.


















I have a bit of a funny story to go with this poster. The Phantom of the Opera is my favorite musical, and my parents saw it when it was on tour a few years after I was born, and because I'm a Broadway nerd I wanted to find the cast that they most likely saw when they saw the tour. Well, my mom wasn't able to remember exactly when they saw it, but she knew it was sometime after we moved in 2000. I did my research and couldn't find anything (and my research lasted several weeks, off and on). I even asked someone I know on Tumblr who knows about this sort of stuff. I gave her all the info I knew and when she got back to me she told me she wasn't aware of any production in Seattle anytime close to 2000 and the closest she could find was about 5 years earlier.

So I kind of let it go for a while, until a few weeks ago when I happened across this fantastic website called the International Broadway Database and I was able to finally track down some solid information. Turns out the production she was in 2003 and the Christine Daae Alternate was Lisa Vroman, who happens to be one of my favorite Christine's. There's no way to know exactly who my parents saw in which rolls, but it's a possibility that Lisa was playing the part when my parents saw the show that night.

If you look in the middle right of the poster you'll see Lisa Vroman's signature.



No comments:

Post a Comment